Monday, May 1, 2006

Grief Resources and Literature

I love books and I love to read!  I got this love from my Dad.  Thanks Dad!  :)  As a grief counselor, a lot of my reading choices center around the topic of grief. 

One book in particular generated a lot of "talk" at my office and among members of our Coping With Loss support groups - "The Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion.  I was led to this book by my husband, Jack.  He read a review on this book in Time Magazine and forwarded it to me.  Thanks Jack!  :) 

I loved this book.  Joan Didion's writing style is easily understandable, as she writes about her grief experience and her grief process as a result of her husband's sudden passing.  Any griever that I have met and has read this book has related to many things she described. 

It's one thing for a grief counselor to try to validate and normalize a person's feelings and actions in grief; it's quite another to have a "regular" person write about similar feelings and situations that the reader might be experiencing.  There are a lot of "Aha" moments that bring the reader clarity in what can be a very foggy time.

If you are looking for resources that can help answer some questions or help you feel that you are not alone, I highly recommend this book.

If you would like information on more grief related resources, please feel free to call at 800-882-1117 or e-mail at bereavement@karenannquinlanhospice.org.

Be well,

Diana

No comments: